Creating better buildings
At Isover, we don’t just understand the regulations surrounding airtightness, we ensure that our products exceed the minimum standards that are required. As well as environmental impacts caused by heat loss, the comfort and health of the occupant should also be considered when creating great buildings to live and work in. Vario® XtraSafe enables you to maximise your building airtightness and ensures that no harmful build-up of moisture can occur within the building.
With the minimum standards of airtightness for new dwellings sitting at 10m³/(m².hr)@50Pa and Passivhaus requiring less than 1m³/(m².hr)@50Pa, you need to be positive you can source the right materials for the job.
The diagram above shows some of the common areas where air leakage can occur in a building; blue arrows indicate the cold air entering the house, whereas the red arrows show the release of warm air which has been drawn into the attic from the inside of the house.
- A – Windows and doors are one of the leading causes of air leakage in a home
- B – Gaps between plumbing vents and wiring holes will also cause air to escape
- C – Warm air is released through attic opening or hatch door
- D – Rim joists in basement or crawlspaces are known to release warm air
- E – Warm air can escape from open soffits and recessed lighting in the likes of bathrooms and kitchens
- F – Wall features which hide duct chaseways also cause air leakage
Going above and beyond with Vario® XtraSafeAir leakage in a structure can be caused by the movement of air either entering or escaping from cracks, holes and gaps in a building which has been poorly designed or constructed. As a smart membrane, Vario® XtraSafe and its associated tapes and sealant, prevent air from escaping in the most unlikely of places, ensuring maximum airtightness where required to allow full control of the ventilation strategy. Vario® XtraSafe qualities are:
- Recognised to exceed guidelines set by UK Building Regulations in order to improve EPC ratings
- Known to provide optimal comfort for occupants, as well as saving on energy
- Can be implemented around difficult openings such as built-in vents, rafters and flat roofs to improve airtightness
- Quick and easy to install to ensure maximum efficiency on the project – the smart membrane material includes an innovative fleece which is fixed to specialist tape
- Highest working range (of water vapour permeability) smart membrane available to purchase (equivalent to SD = 0.3 to 20m) allowing it to be suitable for the widest range of climates.
Next generation solutionEnsuring airtightness on your project does not need to be a time-consuming task. As Vario® XtraSafe is a one-man job, staple-free and with ease of installation, it’s an obvious choice for specifiers. There’s also no need to compromise on quality when an airtight structure is the ultimate goal, so Vario® XtraSafe is unbeatable in terms of performance.
Revolutionise the way you close air gaps with Vario® XtraSafe. For more information, or if you would like to get in touch with a specialist at Isover, please click here.